|| The Life Cycle of a Sea Turtle
||SCIENCE – Life Science
||How Living Things Grow and Change
- Students will be able to describe how organisms change as they grow and mature.
- Students will be able to explain how living things have offspring that resemble their parents.
- Show the vocabulary picture card for a “life cycle.”
- Explain that the way a living thing grows and changes is called its life cycle.
- Enlarge the sea turtle life cycle graphic.
- Read each part with the students. Show how it cycles (begins again)
- Talk about how a young sea turtle looks just like its parents just like they do.
- Explain that when the young sea turtle is grown, it may have young of its own. That is when a new life cycle begins.
- Bring students attention to the following website: The Loggerhead Sea Turtle
- Examine / observe the images. Talk about the pictures and read the captions.
- To review, click on this site and read it main text aloud as students observe and make connections: http://www.unc.edu/depts/oceanweb/turtles/
- Formative Assessment (see below)
- Smart Board / Internet
- Top part (Sea turtle part) of Life Cycle reproducible (save the bottom 2 parts for the next few lessons)
|| Allow students to color, cut, and paste the life cycle of a sea turtle.