|| Rural, Suburban, Urban (1-2 day lesson)
|| 2.1a, b, c
||Students will be able to:
- identify, describe, compare, and contrast the attributes of rural, suburban, and urban communities.
- Tell students, “in our next unit, you will be learning about different communities.”
- Write the name of the 3 communities in a 3 column chart. In one color write down what students already know about the three communities.
- Show Town Mouse and Country Mouse. Form discussion about the differences between rural, suburban, and urban. Add to the chart using a different color.
- Hand out the record sheet for students.
- Pull the second YouTube clip on the SMARTboard
- Direct students to record words, phrases, and facts that they learn from the first video clip (just rural and urban).
- Pause to have discussion/make connections and after the video is over, record new attributes that they learned.
- Show third video clip. Pause to have discussion/make connections and after the video is over, record new attributes that they learned.
- Propose the questions (1) Which community do you live in (2) If you had the opportunity to move to a different community, would you? If so, which one and why?
- class set of rural, suburban, urban record sheet
- chart paper/markers
||Propose the questions
- Which community do you live in?
- If you had the opportunity to move to a different community, would you? If so, which one and why?
- If time permits, allow students to draw a picture of their favorite community and write a caption.